From the end of seventeenth Century up to 1837 A.D. Poonch was ruled by the Muslim Rajas of Loran. It then fell in to the hands of Raja Fiaz Talab Khan of Rahuri. In 1846, this area was handed over to Maharaja Gulab Singh under the treaty of Amritsar. Before this transfer, Poonch was considered a district of Lahore. Maharaja Gulab Singh handed over Poonch and some other areas to his nephews, Jawahar singh and Moti Singh, with the condition that they would not make any administrative changes without the consent of Maharaja of Kashmir. Poonch was annexed and converted in to a Jagir by Maharaja Hari Singh in 1935-36 by the deposing Raja establish their rule in Poonch. In 1947 when Pakistan came in to being, the people of Poonch started on armed struggle afainst the Dogra and Indian Forces.